Freerunning illustrations in Computer Arts Projects
(blog and images copyright Sam Gilbey)

"Computers Arts Projects Issue 95 is the 'Freelance Survival Kit', and if you head to page 54 you'll find a double-page illustration of mine, followed by a tutorial. First up, the illustration, but the thing to bear in mind is that it's all about bringing adobe acrobat files to life. So, the contemporary 'acrobatics' (geddit?!) of free running seemed like a perfect fit for the theme, and would of course let me have some fun."


"Once I'd got a composition that was going to lead the eye around the page, and leave enough room for the intro text, I really wanted to make sure that the characters were drawn as loosely as possible. The calligraphy brushes in Painter were perfect for this, and once they were done I was just going back and forth from Painter and Photoshop. By keeping the buildings fairly abstract it meant I could place the figures where I wanted, and then kind of 'bend' the buildings around them, in a vaguely cubist sense."

(copyright Sam Gilbey)
*
I like the almost abstract buildings and the loose illustration style of the figures, the flowing brush strokes showing movement add to the fluidity and help the bodies stand out against the similarly coloured background.
No comments:
Post a Comment